Manchester Central Foodbank are a small but rapidly-growing charity at a pivotal moment in our evolution, and we are looking for an exceptional person to take on the role of Treasurer / Trustee.
We have recently established a finance committee, to ensure effective financial controls within our organisation. You will chair this committee of volunteers to support the foodbank in achieving its financial objectives. The finance committee and trustee board both meet every 4-6 weeks. Most of these meetings are online, with an occasional hybrid meeting. The time commitment for this role is 6-12 hours per month.
About Manchester Central Foodbank
Manchester Central Foodbank (MCFB) is a Trussell Trust-affiliated food bank, with a centre in Central, North, and East Manchester. We were established in Ardwick in 2013 by students at the Manchester Universities’ Catholic Chaplaincy, making us the first student-led foodbank in the country. Since then we have grown significantly, expanding into Harpurhey and Openshaw, but our goal to end the need for food banks in Manchester has never changed.
We are one of 6 Trussell Trust-affiliated food banks in Manchester, and one of 19 in Greater Manchester. We work closely with our colleagues across the city, to develop and work towards a strong network of support for people locked in poverty. We know that the problem of poverty cannot be solved by giving out food alone, so we work hard to give wrap-around support to our clients, and to campaign for real change in our community.
General financial oversight:
- Liaise with MCF Managers, external accountants and auditors about financial matters.
- Oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements to the Board.
- Ensure that robust and effective systems, policies and controls are in place for finance and investment.
- Ensure an effective system of delegation for finance is in place.
- Ensure that record-keeping and accounts meet the conditions of funders and statutory bodies
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
- Ensure suitable financial roles are in place to fulfil our finance function.
Financial performance, reporting, planning & budgeting:
- Advise on the financial implications of strategic and operational plans.
- Oversee regular reports on the organisation’s financial position
- Ensure effective monitoring and reporting.
- Liaise with designated staff for accounts preparation and audit, as required.
- Present accounts at the AGM.
- Advise on MCFs reserves policy and our investment policy.
Banking, book-keeping, record-keeping and payroll:
- Oversee bank account management and that appropriate systems for bookkeeping, payments, lodgements & petty cash are in place.
- Supervise an external bookkeeper with bookkeeping and monthly payroll
Control of fixed assets
- Ensure proper records are kept.
- Ensure required insurances are in place.
Our ideal candidate
You will have a background in finance, strategy, governance and risk management.
- Knowledge and experience of financial management.
- Good financial analysis skills to examine financial consequences of proposals and plans.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Business planning and Strategy.
- All aspects of financial management, management accounts, cashflow, budgeting, payroll related activities and financial decisions.
- Presenting complex financial information to support decisionmaking.
- A commitment to support the future success of the work of the Foodbank, our aims and values
- Either full or part finance qualified (e.g. CIMA/CIPFA/ACCA/CA AAT or finance degree).
- Knowledge of the charity sector and current fundraising and finance practice.
- Experience with accounting software Xero
- Financial experience at a senior level.
- Previous experience of working in the voluntary sector environment.
- Experience of charity finance.
- Previous experience of being a treasurer.